Photo by Gil Weedmaps
Hash is no longer just something high school kids make in their basement with keif and their mom’s ironing board. The Hash Movement has escalated well beyond the mass-produced hashish of the Rif Mountains in Morocco and the full-melt bubble hash era of the 90s.
Throughout the last two-three years, Hash making has transformed into a very real art-form that’s taking the cannabis connoisseur scene by storm. And it’s poised to exit the underground and enter the mainstream limelight (for the right reasons, not reefer madness) in the coming years.
The individuals at the helm of this hash renaissance are “Extract Artists” and what they’re making isn’t really hash: it’s a cannabis extract known as “DABS” and classified as either Butane Hash Oil (BHO), Ice-Water Hash, or CO2 Extracted Hash. All three products look relatively simple, but the method with which they extract hash is extremely different:
- BHO: The most common-yet-controversial (thanks to amateurs blowing themselves up) art form, artists use Butane to extract THC and other core cannabis components into an extremely concentrated form. It comes in many different forms, such as Shatter, Honeycomb, Oil, and Wax (more on this later). Lately, many Extract Artists have moved on to closed-loop extraction, using bulk machines like an Emotek to extract their cannabis, particularly in Colorado, where the open-loop method is extremely illegal. The highest-level BHO products must be properly purged, or butane will remain.
- Ice-Water Hash: Like making bubble hash, this is a time-consuming method that extremely passionate Extract Artists like Nikka T devout themselves to. Its appeal stems from its lack of butane, something many cannabis smokers feel very hesitant about inhaling. It’s usually not as potent as BHO, but it’s certainly much cleaner.
- CO2: Instead of Butane, artists use CO2 to extract their cannabis. The result is usually a less-potent, less aesthetically pleasing Dab. Connoisseurs typically eschew this method.
First Place, The Secret Cup NorCal
THC: 63%; CBD: .24%
A succulent blend of Sin City’s own Agent Orange and Blue Power, this flavor-filled shatter tastes like a bucket of Tangerines coated with THC. Other citrusy notes dosed with a hearty offering of Kush spice this one up.
2) White Mousse Budder by Kong Budder
Best Budder, Secret Cup Denver
THC: 69% ; CBD: .2%; TRA 1ppm
3.Blue Banner Fire Water Hash from Trichomy Heavy Extraction Technologies
Top Solventless, Secret Cup Denver
THC: 55% ; CBD: 0.1% ; TRA: 0ppm
This entry is a phenomenal example of Ice Water Hash. While it could easily pass as BHO and looks a lot like many forms of BHO Gil has shot in the past, its brilliance is a reflection of Trichome Heavy Extraction Technologies’ next level skill. Proving again that hash is not always what it may initially seem to be!
4. Pre Poison Shatter from Son Tron
First Place, The Secret Cup Denver
THC: 47% ; CBD: 17% ; TRA: 97ppm
5. Strawberry Fantasy Shatter from Natural Selection
Highest Terps,The Secret Cup Denver
THC: 63%; CBD: 0.1%; TRA: 4 ppm
6. Eddy Lepp OG Bubble by Boo Boo’s Bubble/3rd Gen Family
Non-solvent, The Secret Cup Norcal
THC: 54.78% ; CBD: .23%
7. Lemon Skunk Honeycomb
6tt Place The Secret Cup Pacific Northwest
THC: 59.48% ; CBD: 2.17%
8. Captain Pineapple Shatter by Brutal Bee Concentrates
Second Place, Highest THC, The Secret Cup Norcal
THC: 67.17% ; CBD: .22%
9. Tahoe OG Shatter by Shatter House
Third Place, The Secret Cup Denver
THC: 69% ; CBD: 0.2% ; TRA 7ppm
White Dawg Shatter by James Nettles
On the dabber
Source Article from http://www.marijuana.com/news/2013/12/the-strongest-hash-on-this-planet-in-high-definition/
The Strongest Hash on this Planet in High Definition